Today at the Mainstreaming! event co-organized by the AFD, the International Development Finance Club (IDFC) and the Climate Action in Financial Institutions Initiative, many of the world’s largest public and private financial institutions have come together to reaffirm their commitment to integrate climate change in their operations.
The Initiative was pleased to announce the adhesion of new members in 2017, including:
- Banco de Desenvolvimento de Minas Gerais S.A.(BDMG),
- Banco Centroamericano de Integration Economica (CABEI),
- Cassa depositi e prestiti (CDP),
- the Council of Europe Development Bank (CEB),
- the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB),
- the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC), and
- the West African Development Bank (BOAD).
The Secretariat of the Association of Development Financing Institutions in Asia and the Pacific (ADFIAP), network gathering 131 banks in 45 countries, also expressed its support to the 5 Voluntary Principles for Climate Mainstreaming. Many other financial institutions are positively considering their support.
By joining the initiative and endorsing these 5 Voluntary Principles for Climate Mainstreaming, financial institutions acknowledge the importance of systematically integrating climate change considerations across strategies, programs and operations to deliver better, more sustainable short-term and long-term results.